Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Many Roles of a Teacher


Think back to your younger years. Think back to the impact people had on your life. Think back to the lessons you have learned. Think back to the trials you have faced. Think back to the joys in your life. Think back to your accomplishments. Now think about the constant that was in your life on a daily basis. Someone who saw your high and your lows, shared in your joys and your pains, was your greatest cheerleader along the way and gave you advice when you needed it most. Someone who was a shoulder to cry on, a backboard to bounce ideas off of, an ear to listen, a friend to confide in. Who's the first person to come to mind. For many it would be their parents and for me that would be the first thought too, but what about the unsung heroes, the ones that stood behind in the shadows in clear daylight, who molded us to be who we are today. Teachers in many ways play that same role that our parents do. They are a jack of many trades to several children at one time. Teachers come in many shapes, sizes, colors and ages. They have hearts of gold and want what's best for those who are not even their own. They have the hat of the teacher but their hats that they wear are endless.

A teacher possesses many qualities. They teach, encourage, inspire, support, guide, mold, enlighten, brighten, console, engage, converse and foster to name a few. They wipe boogers, button buttons, hold hands, dry tears, bring smiles, teach manners, jump in next to you to help you out of the "sticky" stuff. They are enthusiastic, bubbly, happy, positive and optimistic. They hold tight to efficacy which is the belief that every child can and will learn. They are the future of our generations to come. Teachers are the constant in our life. The teacher is a life long learner that holds the knowledge to teach and mold our future generations but is humble enough to know that their learning never ceases. The hat that the teacher wears never ends.

Teachers play many roles. They are like an air traffic controller giving insight, patience and forward-thinking skills. Teachers are like rocket scientists keeping up with the latest brain research and use of scientifically researched methods in their curriculums. They are like stand up comedians knowing how to grab an audience of children with humor. They are like coaches collaborating with peers, they are open to suggestions and often switch tactis to adopt the best practices all while motivating the student to do the best they can. The teacher is like a counselor knowing their students and how best to handle situations when they arise in the classroom.

Teachers make an impact on our life that is more profound than one could imagine. They are selfless individuals whose soul purpose in life is to make a child's life better. Who besides a parent will do that for you? A teacher will!

Think about your favorite teacher. How did they inspire you? Did they affect who you are today? What were their greatest characteristics? What did you like about them? How did they make you feel? If you could think of one word to describe them what would it be? What hats do you think a teacher wears? Please take a moment to comment and reflect on your thoughts on the roles of a teacher. Also review the thoughts and comments of others on this topic.



A small group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

When you love people and have the desire to make a profound, positive impact on the world, then you will have accomplished the meaning to live. - Sasha Azevedo

13 comments:

  1. Reflecting back on my years of schooling, I can definitely see the many roles of teachers. As a child of two teachers, I saw it in them everyday. Teachers' biggest asset or trait was all of them (ok most) have the uncanny ability to listen to the student. Since students come from all walks of life; they also have to have the ability to relate to the student. In fact some children who come from less than desireable homes, they may serve a surrogate mother or father.

    As I look back at my teachers, coaches, and professors; they all had an effect on me in some manner. Whether it was something they taught me, a quote they said, or even the simple belief in me that I could become successful.

    So yes teachers do wear many hats. Teachers also have the ability to change that hat at a moments notice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading about that story it reminds me of all the teachers that i had and how many different hats they can were. Even though the have cranky days or good days they stand by you and will always help you through the problems that you have.

    I look back at my teachers and coaches and remember what they have taught me in the years of school that i have had. Anything that they said or did it always come back to the teacher or coach that help me through whatever it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a parent I believe teachers shared many of the same roles that I did in molding children. They listen, comfort, wipe a tear away, counsel, praise, encourage and celebrate accomplishments. I know that personally my daughter's first teacher, in kindergarten, taught her the joy of learning and was the first step in her desire to become a teacher, a desire that never left her.

    Teacher's are sometimes the least appreciated people in the world, which I find difficult to understand. It takes a very special person to stand in front of a classroom of children and keep that positive attitude going no matter what. I don't know if I could do that, could you? The next time you want to criticize a teacher, stop and put yourself in their shoes.

    I know I am proud of my daughter for wanting to pursue this career and I know any child who has her for a teacher will be a better person for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually thought of some of my favorite teachers during the first paragraph even before you mentioned to think about teachers. As a student, you either grow to love or dilike your teachers because of being forced to spend so much time with them; and experiencing so much in the process. Teachers really are true heros with everything they deal with, from extremely difficult children to arrogant parents, they put up with everything only to make sure the child will succeed. Along with the teachers I also believe coaches make a huge impact in a childs life, the two together teach the child valuable lessons that are not found in the fine print of the text book, but rather on the playing field of life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think another "hat" most teachers have is patience- patience to deal with the disruptive kids/students. As a stundent, I can't stand when my classmates are being disruptive, and sometimes even when the teacher asks the student to stop whatever he/she is doing they still continue to do it. A teacher has patience to deal with the problem effectivly, because of their patience, but students would usually get very upset and deal with the problem unapropreatly.

    Teachers also have to have patience when teaching their lessons, because some students my not get it right away. I'm sure it gets annoying when you have to repeat yourself and explain things over and over again, so teachers would need an emence amount of patience for that.

    As a student, I've also always loved it when the teacher makes learning fun, by playing games; instead of the teacher lecturing us, they think of a fun way for the students to learn the leason.

    A teacher teaches their stundents more than just accademics, they teach them about life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your reflection on teachers in your past and how you see the qualities teachers should carry with them to love and encourage their students. Someone once told me that students don't care how much you know until they know how much you care. That caring is demonstrated in many ways. Each of us comes with a variety of experiences and a unique personality that shape how we present as teachers. Those differences help shape a teaching staff and give our students a varied canvas of learning. I think we need to become students of ourselves to learn about our unique personality, knowledge, and skills and how we can share those with our students. What a joy that it is to have the privilege of sharing ourselves with our students and for them to share themselves with us :) They can be our best teachers as we see ourselves through their young eyes. Blessings as you pursue your dream.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great effort! Blogging is great for publishing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite teacher of all-time (besides my mom) was my 5th grade teacher Cindy Hodson. I was also fortunate enough to get to complete my student teaching with her as well. Such a cool circumvent of my educational career. She not only taught the curriculum, but she taught life and how to be a good person. Keep blogging! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I think back to the many teachers I have had, Their traits all differ, some good some bad. But, all of them have helped me in some way, they either taught what to do or what not to do. They have helped me become a better person, they have helped me become me. They have always listened to me and been there for me. I envy teachers and how they have the ability to teach kids and even when the kids dont get it teachers stick with it and help them to achieve there goal. Teachers dont just help kids with there studies, they also teach them about life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that your blog is well said. I believe that you capture the the essence of teaching and how the good ones really feel pationate about children, and or the service of teaching others. It really is a life of service. I think that you will make a fabulous teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I truely was fortunate to have many wonderful teachers in my life. As an adult with my own teaching certificate I wholely agree with your blog. During my student teaching I was lucky enough to be in the same building as my fourth grade teacher who is now a librarian. She was so proud to say I was her student and in return I was proud that I had been futunate enough to have her. She was truely passionate about what she did and I hope I can be as good a teacher as she is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. well said, it took me back to the good years! loved your blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job! The best teachers are the ones that:

    1) Care about each student
    2) Radiate enthusiasm
    3) Make learning FUN
    4) Are always POSITIVE
    5) Make each child feel special and confident

    ReplyDelete